Sunday, July 27, 2014

10/18

Never have I ever:

  • Ran 17 miles 
  • Had my legs and feet feel like they were on fire and question whether or not they really are
  • Ran in what feels like circles for 3 hours
  • Needed water but thought it's the last thing I want to pour down my throat
  • Woken up at 4:45am to voluntarily run 
  • Skipped a Saturday training run in exchange for Yoga 
  • Heard the running store clerk tell me my total and I just laugh…until I realized she was serious
  • Ate a Peanut Butter flavored GU packet mid run and craved a bagel and coffee to go with it

Never have I ever done those things...until now. My run this morning wasn't an ideal pace (I normally run a 9-9:15 mile) but I've told anyone and everyone that I'm not doing this marathon for time. I just want to finish the dang thing in one piece! I've started incorporating 30 sec. walk breaks every 3 miles to help break things up and give my body and mind a chance to get reoriented.



Monday - 13.1 mile run 

Tuesday - 4 mile run 

Wednesday - 5 mile run 

Thursday - 4 mile run 

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Yoga 

Sunday - 17 mile run 

I did feel that my dinner last night helped fuel my run as well as my breakfast (oatmeal with blueberries) before I headed out this morning. If you take anything away from this post, let it be this: carb loading does not mean ordering everything off the menu at Olive Garden. Up your carb intake 2 days before a big run but don't up your portions. Keep it realistic and have fun experimenting with meals that work for you. 

Dinner // Gluten free pasta with steamed broccoli, 1/2 avocado, chicken breast, & sprinkled with Parmesan cheese

As I sit here, sitting in my robe with legs perched on the ottoman, the thought of standing up and being human today seems out of my reach. I hurt. My feet feel like cinder blocks, my legs feel like jello, and my arms and abs are sore from yoga. My hair is still wet with sweat and my coffee pot isn't brewing enough to meet customer demands. Come on, Mr. Coffee! But it's Sunday which means church, lunch date with a dear friend, and Jazz in the Park to shut this wonderful weekend down!






P.S. What is your favorite meal the night before an intense workout? Comment below. 




2 comments:

  1. Okay- bear with me- its me after all :) Ahem, I did manage 2.37 miles of a walk last week and what I love for a little boost? The Fage greek yogurt at Target with the one side of nuts/berries, etc, and the other with the yogurt and you combine them. I find them filling, flavorful and gives me just enough to get after it- a little bit :)

    I read all the time- and feel bad I can't reply more often. I hope you never stop, however!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a big tub of the Fage Greek Yogurt - it is my favorite kind as it isn't so "tart" like the others I've tested. I will have to try the ones with the bonus goodies next time! Thank you for the comment and don't worry, I will never stray far from my love of writing! Take care! XO

    ReplyDelete